Amanda's DMA Blog

Thursday, October 19, 2006

I am going to jump ahead quite a bit to last week. But if I get to the point where I need more stuff to blog on I will probably go back and cover some of the stuff that I missed.

Money as Measuringstick
I am going to add more to the discussion that Leeper and I had because I do not think that he fully understood my point of view. The first thing that we must clarify is our definitions of a 'good movie'. For the purpose of this argument I am defining a 'good movie' as a movie that sombody would want to watch. Why would you make a movie that no one wants to watch? Now how do you know that people would want to watch a movie? You could ask them, but it is impossible to go around and poll everybody on whether they liked or wanted to watch a movie. But if they are willing to spend money to go watch a movie then you know that they want to watch that movie. This applies especially to the people who go and see the movie again, and spend more money on it. The more money you spend on a film the more you must have liked it. Now I am not saying that I like or agree with every movie that people are willing to spend money on, or that I would make a movie specifically for the money, but if I spent a lot of time making a movie I would want people to like it and want to watch it. And the best way for me to know for sure that they liked it is to see if they would spend money on it.
Leeper, do you have a different definition of a 'good movie'? And by the way, while I have discovered that I am not shy, I still do not like speaking in front of the whole class (unless I am prepared and playing a part) so I will most likely not answer you in class if you bring it up, but I will probably blog you about it.


This picture is one that came up when I typed good movie into Google

2 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Caitlynn said…

    It does seem to make sense that people will pay to see a good movie. I know there are some lousy movies that people are willing to pay for, just like I'm sure there are some great movies that don't get out there partially because of financial issues. But I think that if we can strike a balance between making something with a good message and making something that a larger audience can enjoy, we as artists can definitely make it in a capitalistic society. There are bound to be struggles, but those will come no matter where you live and what you're doing.

    On a separate note, I don't think "art films" will ever make it big in society. Why? Because the average person doesn't understand them!

    My point is that I think I agree with you. Money is not the absolute means for measuring the value of a movie, but usually it does say something about it....

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Isn't that another part of the money measuring thing? You are not willing to pay $7 because it is not good enough for that, so you pay a couple of dollars to rent it, that is it's money worth to you. And if you really like it you pay $20 and buy it. That is just an extension of the measuring stick.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home