Amanda's DMA Blog

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Group 2 Poetic Justice
This is the story of two men. One man is rich, or at least upper middle class, a businessman, with a loving wife and a good job. He seems to have it all. The other man is homeless, he has no money and his “job” is playing his guitar on the street corners trying to make enough money to, well probably to buy more beer. As they go through the movie the first guy is rude and mean to the second guy. Then the first guy is fired and he ends up on the street corner next to the homeless guy. The homeless guy sees his plight and gives him all the money he had made that day.
This was an interesting film. I liked the story idea and I loved the setting. Downtown Huntington is so beautiful and fit into the story wonderfully. The only two things that I didn’t like/ understand were the life falling apart scene and the part where the homeless guy flips the other guy off. The life falling apart scene didn’t make sense to me. I did not get the pacing back and forth for what is was until he was fired. As for the flip off I am not going to wimp out and say that it didn’t bother me just because everyone else seems to think that it is ok. Yes I am a Christian, that is not the only reason that I was offended, but it is enough. My Christian values are displayed for the world in the way that I act. Because of that I will never flip anyone off or cuss. I feel these things are a bad reflection on me and my God. Why is it so wrong for Christians to be offended at the things of the world? Don’t you think that God is offended too? If God were in the room would you act out that scene in front of him? Guess what God is in the room. And don’t tell me that it is just reality. We still do not need to show it. It is not all of reality. Not everyone cusses and flips other people off. And the people who do these things are not all Christians. Some non-Christians see the offensiveness and unnessessaryness of these things and also do not do them. Flipping someone off is meant to be offensive, so why should I not be offended when it is shown on screen? Someone in their post mentioned that if we were in DMA we should not be offended by cussing. Why shouldn’t I be offended? Being a DMA major does not make the gesture any less offensive, nor does it make me any less offensive. What does being a DMA major have to do with anything? This is not directed only at the makers of poetic justice, but also at anyone who thinks that cussing and such is ok just because it is in the movies, or because the world expects it or for any other reason.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Peter Ahlersmeyer said…

    There were things that i wouldve done differently i my film but i guess thats the problem when yur working with a group.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home